Sunday, January 25, 2009

In celebration of normal natural childbirth



Ginger was born at home in our garage. I had arranged the space with a futon, our birth pool, candles, rugs and affirmations.

On the morning of her birth I started having contractions at 6.30am. I sent my partner off to work and spent the morning pottering around, doing washing, playing with Oscar and finishing off the birth room. When things amped up I called my partner home and called my mother to come and watch Oscar. I retreated to our birth room not noticing my change in behavior and not realising that the birth was imminent.

By the time I asked Dion to call our midwife Sue, I was fully dilated, had jumped in the pool and my body was beginning to push Ginger out.

Nothing was required of me but to ride it out and enjoy it.

Ginger's head and shoulders were born before our midwife made an appearance and as Sue watched on the rest of her body slid out into her daddies hands.

A baby girl was born at 4.35pm. Everyone felt energised, especially me. Her brother was there, he has fond memories of his sisters birth. I found the experience exhilarating, sensual - amazing. I want to do it again and again.



Ginger Pearl - 3rd September 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment